Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Rhubarb and Strawberry Crumble


As it were, I went to the farmers market last weekend and on a pure whim, I purchased some vibrant red rhubarb (in truth to make my shopping basket look more colourful). When I got it home, it stood around on my cold shelf for, oh, I don't know how many days, just asking to be used. I could not think of what to do with it... make a Swedish 'Saft" out of it ( somewhat of a rhubarb simple syrup for drinks and cooking- great on baked chicken!) or make a vinaigrette out of it- oh no, wait- can't eat a vinaigrette... darn... acid reflux makes cooking and eating very difficult- so difficult, in-fact, that I just eat very simple things... but I digress. I finally decided on making a Rhubarb and Strawberry Crumble. Here is the low cal, very VERY good and light desert idea.


RHUBARB AND STRAWBERRY CRUMBLE
(serves 4)

COMPOTE
1 pound fresh, not all the way red, Rhubarb Stocks, chopped
8 or so Large Strawberries, chopped (cut same size as Rhubarb)
1/4 c white sugar (you can use sugar substitute)
1 tsp powdered ginger (or fresh grated, just use 1/2 tsp)

CRUMBLE
1 tlb ground cinnamon
1/2 c rolled oats (you can get gluten free oats from Whole Foods: "Bob's Red Mill")
1/2 c whole wheat flour
1/4 c light brown sugar
1 tlb unsalted butter

Prepare 4, 4" ramekins with Pam spray ( yes, I know, Pam).
Combine all compote ingredients together and divide into the ramekins.
Next, combine all crumble ingredients, except for the butter, and divide accordingly.
After you have everything evenly laid out, ( you'll want to fill the ramekins up to the top because when they bake,
they fall down considerably) quarter the 1 tlb of unsalted butter, and place one quarter of it on each individual desert. If you want to add more butter, be my guest- I can't handle the fat, so I make it this way- but by all means- please PLEASE add more!

In a preheated, 375ยบ F oven, place the 4 ramekins on a lined baking tray and bake for 30-35 minutes. Top with some whipped cream or ice cream and your ready to go!

This is a light, seasonal, local and fabulous desert.

Happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment